Last week, got this issue reported by a DBA that he wasn’t able to su to oracle user from root on a Oracle Base Database VM in OCI. The login of opc user worked fine and he could do sudo su to root but he couldn’t su to oracle. When he did it just came back to root shell.
[root@xxx ~]# su - oracle
Last login: Fri Jan 12 10:20:38 UTC 2023
There was nothing relevant in /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure. I tried it for some other user and it worked fine. Then I suspected something with the profile of oracle user and voila ! The .bashrc looked like this
A customer who is using an Exadata X8M-2 with multiple VMs had Smokescreen deployed in their company recently and they reported an issue that one of the Smokescreen decoy servers in their DC was seeing traffic from one of the Exadata VMs on a certain port. That was rather confusing as that port was the database listener port on that VM and why would a VM with Oracle RAC deployed try to access any random IP on the listener port. Also it was happening only for this VM. Nothing for so many other VMs.
We were just looking at the things and my colleague said that he had seen this IP somewhere and he started looking through the emails. In a minute, we found the issue as he found this IP mentioned in one of the emails. This was the VIP of this VM from where the traffic was reported to be originating. While reserving IPs for Smokescreen decoy servers, someone made the mess and re-used the IP that was already used for one of the VIPs of this RAC system !
Today I was upgrading 10gR1 to 10gR2 (10.2.0.1) on Linux x86. The upgrade went almost fine (except that I had to install one package and change few kernel parameters) but while running DBUA to upgrade databases, it gave an error:
Could not get database version from the Oracle Server component. The CEP file rdbmsup.sql does not provide the version directive
Start of root element expected. Upgrade Configuration file
'C:\Oracle10g2\cfgtoollogs\dbua\test\upgrade5\upgrade.xml' is not a valid XML file.
I searched in the metalink and found that this all happens due to customized glogin.sql file which was there in my case also. And removing that customization made DBUA rock 🙂