I planned to write this post on Independence day but then laziness took over and I dropped the idea. Then in the evening, I went out to get some groceries and this idiot jumping the red light in his big car again inspired me to do it.
Anyways let’s get back to the point.
Like every year, this independence day also social media was flooded with patriotic messages. It looks like such a good scene but the unfortunate reality is that this whole drama lasts only for a day. Today is 16th Aug and everything is back to normal again. Actually, we are a hypocrite nation. Probably have always been one. Loving the country for a day can solve any problems? No. Remembering the national anthem by heart can solve any problems? or can make someone a better citizen? No. To be honest I don’t remember the national anthem of India but I know for sure that I am a better citizen than many of the people around me. And I also know how many of them pretend to be such patriots but what all they have been up to in their lives. Was just wondering that instead of displaying these one-day emotions how about:
- Just being good citizens and honest all the time. With everyone, not just 10 people around you who you think can be of some use for you some day.
- Not indulging in all the unfair means to gather more money.
- Not jumping red lights even if there are no traffic cops deployed.
- Being nice to guys who work at your homes; maids, servants.
- Being nice to your neighbors irrespective of whether they can be of some use to you some day or not.
- Not being drunk beyond limits and then driving on the roads.
- if you are a person holding a position of power; not making use of it to any unfair personal advantage.
- If your father is holding a position of power; not treating everyone else like shit and not telling every govt official you come across “You don’t know who my Dad is?”
- Keeping in mind the inconvenience small acts like not parking your car properly may cause for others.
- Not throwing the empty water & beer bottles and food packets bags on the roads by rolling down the windows of your Merc and BMWs.
Looks difficult. Right ? No worries. We always have the other option to cram the national anthem and post patriotic messages on Facebook on 15th Aug and 26th Jan.