An Oracle blog – Amardeep Sidhu

November 18, 2017

Garbled display while running FMW installer on Linux

Filed under: Troubleshooting — Sidhu @ 4:26 pm
Tags: , , ,

A colleague faced this while running FMW installer on a Linux machine. The display appeared like this

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This thread gave a clue that it could have something to do with fonts. So I checked what all fonts related stuff was installed.

[root@someserver ~]# rpm -aq |grep -i font
stix-fonts-1.1.0-5.el7.noarch
xorg-x11-font-utils-7.5-20.el7.x86_64
xorg-x11-fonts-cyrillic-7.5-9.el7.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi-7.5-9.el7.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-9-100dpi-7.5-9.el7.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-9-75dpi-7.5-9.el7.noarch
libXfont-1.5.2-1.el7.x86_64
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-14-100dpi-7.5-9.el7.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi-7.5-9.el7.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi-7.5-9.el7.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-2-100dpi-7.5-9.el7.noarch
libfontenc-1.1.3-3.el7.x86_64
xorg-x11-fonts-ethiopic-7.5-9.el7.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi-7.5-9.el7.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-misc-7.5-9.el7.noarch
fontpackages-filesystem-1.44-8.el7.noarch
fontconfig-2.10.95-11.el7.x86_64
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-2-75dpi-7.5-9.el7.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-14-75dpi-7.5-9.el7.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-Type1-7.5-9.el7.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-15-75dpi-7.5-9.el7.noarch
[root@someserver ~]#

stix-fonts looked suspicious to me. So I removed that with rpm -e stix-fonts.

That actually fixed the issue. After this the Installer window was displaying fine.

 

root.sh fails with CRS-2101:The OLR was formatted using version 3

Filed under: RAC,Troubleshooting — Sidhu @ 4:03 pm
Tags: ,

Got this while trying to install 11.2.0.4 RAC on Redhat Linux 7.2. root.sh fails with a message like

ohasd failed to start
Failed to start the Clusterware. Last 20 lines of the alert log follow:
2017-11-09 15:43:37.883:
[client(37246)]CRS-2101:The OLR was formatted using version 3.

This is bug 18370031. Need to apply the patch before running root.sh.

July 15, 2017

TNS-12543: TNS:destination host unreachable

Filed under: Database,Troubleshooting,Unix/Linux — Sidhu @ 10:23 am
Tags:

Scenario : Setting up a physical standby from Exadata to a non-Exadata single instance. tnsping from standby to primary works fine but tnsping from primary to standby fails with:

TNS-12543: TNS:destination host unreachable

I am able to ssh standby from primary, can ping as well but tnsping doesn’t work.  From the error description we can figure out that something is blocking the access. In this case it was iptables that was enabled on the standby server.

Stopping the service resolved the issue.

service iptables stop
chkconfig iptables off

The error is an obvious one but sometimes it just doesn’t strike you that it could be something simple like that.

August 20, 2015

MRP process on standby stops with ORA-00600

Filed under: Database,Troubleshooting — Sidhu @ 2:33 pm
Tags: , ,

A rather not so great post about an ORA-00600 error i faced on a standby database. Environement was 11.2.0.3 on Sun Super Cluster machine. MRP process was hitting ORA-00600 while trying to apply a specific archive log.

The error message was something like this

MRP0: Background Media Recovery terminated with error 600
Errors in file /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.3/diag/diag/rdbms/xxxprd/xxxprd1/trace/xxxprd1_pr00_6342.trc:
ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [2619], [539], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], []
Recovery interrupted!

Some googling and MOS searches revealed that the error was due to corrupted archive log file. Recopying the archive file from primary and restarting the recovery resolved the issue. The fist argument of the ORA-600 is actually the sequence no of the archive it is trying to apply.

July 31, 2012

ORA-01422 while compiling objects

Filed under: Troubleshooting — Sidhu @ 10:04 pm
Tags: ,

There was an interesting issue at one of the customer sites. Few tables in the database were altered and the dependent objects became invalid. But the attempts to compile the objects using utlrp.sql or manually were failing. In all the cases it was giving the same error:

SQL> alter function SCOTT.SOME_FUNCTION compile;
 alter function SCOTT.SOME_FUNCTION compile
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-01422: exact fetch returns more than requested number of rows
ORA-06512: at line 27

SQL>

 

At first look it sounded like some issue with the dictionary as the error in case of every object (be it a view, function or package) was the same.

Everybody was trying to compile the invalid objects and surprisingly few VIEWs (that were not getting compiled from SQL*Plus) got compiled from Toad ! But that didn’t explain anything. In fact it was more confusing.

Finally I enabled errorstack for event 1422 and tried to compile a view. Here is the relevant content from the trace file

----- Error Stack Dump -----
ORA-01422: exact fetch returns more than requested number of rows
----- Current SQL Statement for this session (sql_id=7kb01v7t6s054) -----
SELECT SQL_TEXT FROM V$OPEN_CURSOR VOC, V$SESSION VS WHERE VOC.SADDR = VS.SADDR AND AUDSID=USERENV('sessionid') AND UPPER(SQL_TEXT) LIKE 'ALTER%'

 

I took it to be some system SQL and started searching in that direction and obviously that was of no use.

In the mean time another guy almost shouted…”oh there is a trigger to capture DDL operations in the database; it must be that”. And indeed it was. Here is the code that was creating the problem:

 select sql_text into vsql_text
           from v$open_cursor voc, v$session vs
           where voc.saddr = vs.saddr
           and audsid=userenv('sessionid')
           and upper(sql_text) like 'ALTER%';
 

As v$open_cursor was returning multiple rows, hence the problem !

Moral is that the errorstack traces do tell a lot (of course if you listen carefully) 😉

Next Page »

Theme: Rubric. Get a free blog at WordPress.com

%d bloggers like this: